- 📖 Text Shortener
- 📜 When to Use It
- 🎉 Benefits of the Tool
- ✒️Writing a Summary
- ✍️Summary Examples
- 🎁 Bonus Tips
- ❓ FAQ
- 🔗 References
📖 Text Shortener Guide
Summarizing is an essential part of academic writing. It shows your ability to separate and present the main findings, plot elements, thoughts, etc. A good summary lets another person easily understand it without reading the original text.
(Video) How to make an essay shorter with Free Online Generators /How to shorten Text/ Essay shortener
Our free text shortener presents key takeaways of a text using AI technologies. To use it, you need to copy and paste the original text and choose the length of the expected summary. This is how you create a resume with zero stress in a couple of clicks.
In this article, we describe our tool and explain how to write top-scoring summaries.
📜 When to Use Text Shortener Tool
- When you need to write a concluding paragraph. It can be an essay, research paper, lab report, or other academic text. Paste your body paragraphs into the box to create a summary for your concluding part.
- When you need to shorten your essay. Use this tool if you exceed the word limit in your essay or a particular paragraph. It also works as a sentence shortener.
- When you need to read an extensive article. You will do it faster as summarizing tool makes the text shorter, preserving the main information. It is helpful when you need to read many articles and highlight the key points.
- When you need to shorten other researchers’ passages. Including lengthy quotes in your paper is not the best decision. Instead, you can use our tool to make them shorter without changing their sense.
- When you need to take notes. Create an overview of the studying materials with our online shortener. It is a fast and easy way to make notes without writing or typing them manually.
- When you need to refresh your knowledge. Instead of reading a full text or book, just use a summary generator. After a quick revision of the content, you can save and use these extracts later.
🎉 Shorten Sentence Generator Benefits
Below you will find reasons why students love our shortening tool.
|It is 100% free.||You can use it as often as you want without paying a penny. You also don’t need to register, download apps, or leave your data on the website.|
|The shortened sentence generator determines the essential ideas.||It excludes secondary or extra information and excessive wording.|
|You can easily focus on the main details.||Instead of noting, highlighting, or remembering, just copy the results from our tool.|
|The paragraph shortener reduces the word count.||You deal only with the core of a text. That is why it is a good idea to use our free tool to see if you can exclude some extra details from your essay.|
|It saves your time.||You become more productive when you use automatic tools. The only thing you have to do is adjust a few details to fit your writing style.|
(Video) how to summarize an article automatically with summarizing tool free online / auto-summarizer apps
✒️ How to Write an Outstanding Summary
If you want to write a summary yourself, this passage is for you. Follow these guidelines to shorten texts better and faster.
- Find only one core thought – this is the basis of the text. Then look for supporting points that revolve around this idea. At this stage, you can list the essential ideas in the text.
- Don’t use judgmental and emotional vocabulary while writing. Your goal is to be as objective as possible. You can also rewrite the informal style to formal. Remember that summarizing is not the same as paraphrasing.
- Keep your summary brief: it shouldn’t be longer than 15% of the initial text. But we still recommend using synonyms and synonymic expressions not to repeat the original passage. Don’t forget to reference the works you have included.
- Reread your summary. Make sure that its writing style corresponds with the rest of your work.
- Add transition words if you notice that there is no flow. Ask yourself: can a person understand the core meaning of your text just after reading the summary?
If yes, congratulations! You have just created a good summary. If not, find the details that you have missed. It can be a logical sequence, a particular argument, event, or evidence. Rewrite your summary till it fully represents the original text.
✍️ Text Shortening Examples
Now let’s take a look at two summary examples.
Why is traveling so popular? As people are curious creatures, it is one of the best ways to satisfy the need to see and experience something new. As a tourist, you can explore new places, meet people, and try things you have never tried before. It can be considered positive stress that brings you out of your comfort zone pleasantly. Who doesn’t like to try new food and enjoy beautiful scenery? Another great thing about traveling is having a break from your routine. It can be a breath of fresh air for those trapped in Groundhog Day. Even if you prefer active traveling that involves sports and long walks, it is still a rest for your body and mind. Most importantly, you explore yourself when you travel. You understand your tastes and preferences, live through new experiences, and face challenges. Some traveling destinations might not be your type, but you never know before trying!
|Bad summary: Seeing new places means going out of your comfort zone. Travelling is popular because it is a breath of fresh air for people who don’t like their lifestyle and want to try something new. People understand what they like and don’t like better after seeing places that are not their type.||Good summary: The author mentions several benefits of traveling, including satisfying curiosity, changing scenery, and self-exploration. New destinations, local food, active time spending, communication, and other experiences allow people to explore their inner world and preferences along with local events.|
|What can be improved: The example has biased language and does not cover all the points mentioned in the text.||What is good about it: The example covers all the main points, avoids judgment, and refers to the author.|
(Video) Convert Long paragraphs into Short Summary | How to Convery Text into Summary #Shorts
🎁 Bonus Tips for Students
- Make sure you know what kind of summary you need. For example, anexecutive summary has particular guidelines and writing formulas.
- Avoid complex terminology and long sentences. Your summary should be independent and straightforward. Imagine that a person unfamiliar with the topic needs to understand the text.
- To shorten a long text, make a one-sentence summary for each paragraph. It will help you control the size of the summary. It also will be easier to navigate the text if you decide to rewrite or adjust your summary.
What does summarize mean?
Summarizing means shortening a larger text without changing its meaning. You can usually see summaries at the end of essays and other academic papers. While shortening a text, you need to cover only the essential details mentioned in the text. In most summaries, you shouldn’t include your opinion on the matter and have to be objective.
How to summarize a story?
You need to retell a story briefly. Imagine that you have read a book and want to describe it to your friend. Highlight the main plot elements and characters that are crucial to the story. Omit the parts that are not essential for a person who wants to understand the plot.
(Video) How To Summarize Long Web Articles Into Short Summary In a Few Seconds
How to summarize a quote?
Read the passage and find its key message. Briefly describe this thought in your own words. Make sure that the summarized piece fits your paper’s tone. If you leave more than three words unchanged, put them in quotation marks. Don’t forget to give credit to the author.
Note: short, clearly expressed quotes do not need shortening.
(Video) Top 5 Online Paraphrasing Tools 2022 | Online Rewrite tool | Aazz Ahmad
How do you shorten a paragraph for free? ›
❓ How to make a paragraph shorter? To shorten a paragraph, cut the unnecessary or redundant information. Your paragraph should contain only one idea, outlined in an introductory sentence. Make sure to elaborate on it in 2 to 3 sentences, cutting out phrases or ideas t that deviate from the core subject.
Know More ›
Top Five Text Summarization Tools
- Summarize Bot. This AI and blockchain-powered tool allows users to know more by reading less with summarization of long texts. ...
- Resoomer. ...
- SMMRY. ...
- TextSummarization. ...
- Text Compactor.
Mar 9, 2020
Read On ›
Scholarcy, the online article summarizer tool, reads your research articles, reports and book chapters in seconds and breaks them down into bite-sized sections – so you can quickly assess how important any document is to your work.
Show Me More ›
QuillBot's summarizer can condense articles, papers, or documents down to the key points instantly. Our AI uses natural language processing to locate critical information while maintaining the original context.
Read On ›
Here are a few simple tricks you can use to quickly tighten your text and meet the limit.
- Delete "The" ...
- Erase “That” ...
- Remove Adverbs and Adjectives. ...
- Use Shorter Words. ...
- Trim Wordy Phrases. ...
- Choose Active Voice. ...
- Revise Needless Transitions. ...
- Eliminate Conjunctions.
Dec 12, 2018
Read The Full Story ›
Is QuillBot's Grammar Checker tool free? Yes! Our Grammar Checker is completely free to use.
Read The Full Story ›
1. How to copy article or Assignment and make it your own
2. How to use AI to Summarize Content: Using ShortlyAI — As Simple as TLDR
3. How To Summarize Long Paragraphs | Make Them Shorter | 🔥
4. Summarise Feature - Read 10 Page Document in Less Than 1 Minute
5. How To Shorten Text With CSS
6. Use THIS Algorithm To Find KEYWORDS in Text - A Short Python Project
Author: Kieth Sipes
Last Updated: 04/05/2023
Rating: 4.7 / 5 (47 voted)
Reviews: 94% of readers found this page helpful
Name: Kieth Sipes
Address: Suite 492 62479 Champlin Loop, South Catrice, MS 57271
Job: District Sales Analyst
Hobby: Digital arts, Dance, Ghost hunting, Worldbuilding, Kayaking, Table tennis, 3D printing
Introduction: My name is Kieth Sipes, I am a zany, rich, courageous, powerful, faithful, jolly, excited person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.