Written by: Camille Zalar
Edited by: Kelly Doran
Last updated on
November 30, 2022
Addiction is a chronic but treatable disease that can affect anyone and is marked by compulsively seeking out substances or difficulty controlling the use of substances, even with the potential for harmful consequences.1
It’s possible for anyone to struggle with addiction or substance misuse, regardless of their upbringing, including people of various faiths such as Christianity. For those individuals, they may seek addiction treatment in faith-based rehab centers where they can receive spiritual support while they recover.
If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction and you want to receive treatment in a faith-based recovery program or Christian rehab center, this article will help you understand what spiritual rehab centers and Christian rehabs are, what to look for and how to find addiction treatment that aligns with your beliefs.
What Are Faith-Based Treatment Programs or Christian Rehabilitation Centers?
Christian rehabilitation centers combine traditional clinical support and evidence-based therapies with Christian values to help people in their recovery from substance use disorders (SUDs). Christian-based rehabs may also use Biblical principles and teachings to help guide the recovery process.
While there are facilities that focus specifically on Christian principles, some rehabs are faith-based or have a spiritual component without being specific to Christianity or other religions.
For many people, spiritual practices (including Christian practices) at faith-based treatment centers help them to feel connected to something bigger and provide a sense of purpose and meaning. Spirituality is a broad term that isn’t necessarily associated with one religion and can include many perspectives.2
In spiritually-based addiction treatment programs, there is an emphasis on connecting to something bigger, often referred to as a “higher power”. This is particularly evident in 12-Step recovery programs like Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), in which believing in a power greater than oneself is thought to help people maintain sobriety.6 Learn more about the AA Big Book and 12 Promises.
Why Choose a Christian Drug Rehab Center or Faith-Based Rehab Program?
Choosing to enter any kind of addiction treatment is a courageous first step toward recovery. For many people, seeking out Christian drug rehabs and other faith-based rehab programs may help them feel more connected to their faith while in the recovery process. It may also provide a safe environment in which to continue practicing their spiritual beliefs during treatment.
Potential benefits of choosing Christian-based alcohol and drug rehabilitation may include:
- Community support from like-minded staff and people in treatment.
- Therapy from Christian counselors.
- Receiving Biblical teaching and inspiration.
- An emphasis on forgiveness.
- Prayer and support.
How Do Christian Rehab Facilities or Faith-Based Recovery Programs Work?
Christian rehabs or religious rehab centers are designed to treat the physical, psychological and spiritual needs of a person in recovery to help them heal and recover from substance misuse. Like other types of addiction treatment, effective faith-based recovery programs are those that treat the whole person and their needs, including:3
Christian rehab facilities typically provide many of the same services and amenities as other recovery programs with an emphasis on Christian principles. Services included in various religious treatment programs may include:3
- Behavioral therapies.
- Medication (for recovery from certain substances).
- Co-occurring mental healthcare and support.
- Aftercare and relapse prevention.
Types of Christian Rehabs and Faith-Based Rehabs
Many addiction treatment services are offered in both inpatient and outpatient settings. There are also inpatient and outpatient treatment facilities that focus on faith-based programs. You may choose a 28- or 30-day program or a longer 60-day or 90-day stay. The following sections discuss various types of Christian rehabs or faith-based rehabs to consider.
Faith-Based or Christian Inpatient Rehab
Residential or inpatient drug and alcohol treatment is that in which a person remains in the facility overnight to receive 24-hour support and medical attention, depending on the person’s level of care.3
These levels of inpatient care can include:7
- Inpatient residential services: Can include clinically-managed or medically-monitored care at various intensities with 24-hour care.
- Medically-managed intensive inpatient services: Involves 24-hour care and attendance by nurses and physicians for people with severe/acute addiction related-problems and co-occurring conditions.
Faith-Based or Christian Outpatient Rehab
Outpatient treatment typically includes a variety of services for people who visit the facility on a daily or weekly basis depending on their level of care and needs. Depending on the facility, outpatient treatment can include behavioral counseling, detox, 12-Step facilitation and medication.3
Outpatient levels of care can include:
- Intensive outpatient services: 9 or more hours a week of treatment.
- Partial hospitalization services: 20 or more hours a week of treatment that doesn’t necessitate 24-hour care.
What Types of Therapies Are Offered in Faith-Based Drug Rehabs and Christian Treatment Centers?
Faith-based drug rehabs and Christian treatment centers offer a number of behavioral therapies to help address people’s attitudes toward substance use, encourage healthy life skills and continue treatment and recovery for the long-term.4
Some of the common behavioral therapies (used alone or in combination with medications) used in spiritual treatment centers are:5
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): Designed to modify harmful beliefs and behaviors.
- Contingency management (CM) or Motivational Incentives (MI): Voucher- or prize-based to encourage a person in recovery and reinforce positive behaviors and decisions.
- Motivational Enhancement Therapy (MET): Counseling that helps people overcome feelings of resistance toward treatment and stopping substance use.
- 12-Step facilitation groups (e.g. Alcoholics Anonymous / Narcotics Anonymous): Groups that help people connect with others struggling with addiction to encourage sobriety and recovery.
- Family Behavior Therapy: Designed to address co-occurring problems related to family conflict and other disorders. This typically involves the recovering person and a person in their family or who they cohabitate with.
What to Look for in Faith-Based or Christian-Based Rehab Centers and Mental Health Facilities
When searching for a faith-based or Christian-based rehab program or mental health facility, it’s important to consider the treatment center’s philosophy and values. Ensuring that these values align with yours may help you feel more at ease when receiving care.
As with other types of treatment, it’s important to find a Christian-based drug rehab center that tailors treatment to your individual needs and level of care. Factors that may help you choose a faith-based or Christian drug rehab include:
- Types of treatment offered such as inpatient services, detox, therapy and outpatient programs.
- Cost of rehab (the cost of luxury or executive rehab centers will be higher).
- Payment options (sliding scale, grants, scholarships, financing).
- Types of behavioral therapies offered and if counselors are aligned with your belief system.
- Faith-based support groups.
- Credentials and certifications of treatment professionals and the treatment facility as a whole.
- Aftercare planning.
- Treatment for co-occurring mental health conditions.
How Do I Find Faith-Based Treatment Centers or Christian Rehab Centers Near Me?
You may be wondering, ‘where can I locate the best Christian mental health facilities?’, ‘where can I find the best Christian rehab near me?’ or ‘where can I find Christian detox centers near me?’ You might be seeking treatment in Florida, Arkansas, Texas, Utah, West Virginia, Colorado, Kentucky, New York, Michigan, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Illinois, Georgia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Ohio, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Wyoming or any other US state. You could be searching for specialized faith-based treatment centers, such as Christian drug rehab for women or faith-based rehab for teens.
When searching for faith-based or Christian rehab centers near you, it’s important to look for rehab facilities that align with your beliefs, in addition to offering services that meet your needs. To find the right spiritual addiction treatment program, here are a few tips:
- Speak to your doctor about your struggles with substance use and ask for suggestions on where to receive treatment.
- If you are part of a faith community, speak with a trusted advisor or person in that community that can offer support and suggestions about Christian addiction treatment.
- Contact faith-based treatment centers to discuss options.
You can also contact the caring admissions navigators at American Addiction Centers (AAC) who are available 24/7 for free at to help you find treatment centers that meet your needs. AAC has a number of facilities that offer faith-based programs to support your recovery. They can also help you check your benefits so you know whether your health insurance covers treatment at Christian rehab centers. Use the form below to determine whether your insurance provider will cover rehabilitation.
Insurance Providers That May Cover Faith-Based Treatment Programs
Learn more about faith-based and Christian treatment programs with these insurance providers:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Kaiser Permanente
Articles Related to Religious or Spiritual Addiction Treatment Programs
- 12-Step Behavioral Addiction Programs
- Non-12-Step Rehab Treatment
- Holistic Rehab Treatment
- Couples’ Rehab Treatment
- Seniors’ Rehab Treatment
- Private Rehab Treatment
- Free Rehab Treatment
- Alcohol Abuse Hotline Numbers
- Drug Abuse Hotline Numbers